Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Overkill


It's funny how a song will strike you. Some intrude and scurry away, scarcely bothering you and leaving little behind to show their passing. Others will run through your head and force you hum along, or try to catch the lyrics. Nowadays, with the Internet such a handy tool for finding all sorts of things, finding lyrics is a snap. And if you know the singer's name, or the title of the song, why you are practically there.

I watch some reruns before I head to bed, among them "Scrubs" which I find quite funny. The local station used to play a pair of episodes back-to-back. But recently they decided to split the episodes so that the second one airs at midnight. Lousy, stinkin' .... grrrr!

Anyway, one of the episodes had a guest star, namely Colin Hay, formerly of Men At Work, the Australian Rock Band of the early 80s. He plays a sort of intinerant Troubador, singing a song that intertwines with the show's stars and their troubles of the day. The song, which is played throughout the episode, in small vignettes, went right to my heart. Seriously! I heard it and began looking forward to the chorus, and then back to the verses, and so on. Naturally I went surfing. I found some good stuff!

The episode was a funny one, and Colin Hay's performance simply enhanced it perfectly. Below are two clips from YouTube - yeah YouTube is a Leftist company, but whattya gonna do? - the first a cleverly edited version of the performance in Scrubs. I know you'll recognize the face of Colin Hay, if you were following Rock in the 80s. The second clip is a live performance of the same song, "Overkill". The acoustic version sets a rather nice mood.





Overkill
by Colin Hay (Men At Work)


I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know I'll be alright
Perhaps it's just imagination

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away

Alone between the sheets
Only brings exasperation
It's time to walk the streets
Smell the desperation

At least there's pretty lights
And though there's little variation
It nullifies the night from overkill

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Come back another day

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know I'll be alright
It's just overkill

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Ghosts appear and fade away
Ghosts appear and fade away


Your opinion?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting sequence; I don't watch TV shows, so I wouldn't have ever seen it otherwise.

I've always liked "Men At Work"; I have two of their songs on my MP3 player, in fact...

benning said...

I think I remember two of their songs, and Colin Hay's odd look. Other than that ... so this was interesting and enjoyable. And Scrubs is very funny! ; )

Anonymous said...

I too watch re-runs, I too watch Scrubs re-runs, usually around midnight and midnight plus 30. I saw this episode and agree with your analysis; it was hilarious. One of the things I like about Scrubs is that it makes you laugh while showing some very serious insights into life. By the end of the show I often find myself trying to figure out if I am supposed to laugh or cry.

I enjoyed the perusing of your website as well.

Keep up the fight!