Tuesday, May 23, 2006

G.W.Bush: Better Than You Thought

The Anchoress has an amazing, and well-thought-out piece on our President:

'...I thought of a line from Pride and Prejudice, in which Elizabeth Bennett says in new appreciation of Mr. Darcy, “In essentials, I believe, he is very much what he ever was.”

Perhaps I am a dim bulb, but President Bush has never surprised me, and that is probably why I have never felt let down or “betrayed” by him. He is, in essentials, precisely who he has ever been. He did not surprise me when he managed, in August of 2001, to find a morally workable solution in the matter of Embryonic Stem Cells. He did not surprise me when, a month later, he stood on a pile of rubble and lifted a broken city from its knees. When my NYFD friends told me of the enormous consolation and strength he brought to his meetings with grieving families, I was not surprised. When the World Series opened in New York City and the President was invited to throw the first pitch, there was no surprise in his throwing (while wearing body armor) a perfect strike.'


You simply have to read the entire, thought-provoking piece. This one is one to keep in your favorites folder, print out, bind, and put on your bookshelf, email to your liberal friends. Y'know, The Anchoress just keeps on writing interesting stuff, deep stuff, good stuff until I'm stuffed!

And all this after she gave up on political blogging for the time being. Why? 'Cause she was burned out with it. LOL

If you thought you knew what George W. Bush was all about, if you thought you remembered what's gone on with GW since the 2000 elections, if you thought you were a supportive member of the President's base, then I challenge you to read this enthralling trip down Memory Lane, and see how many of these things you'd forgotten ... just as I had.

Go on! Click on that link and go read! You won't be sorry!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benning,

Just to say a few things. In the 19th century the economic concerns were much the same today. The Irish, Italian, Poles were economic basket cases. They were not desired immigrants to this country. It was thought they were going to change our "American way of life" etc. etc. Things today are not really that different than 130 years.

I agree that our cherished unguarded border will be a thing of the past. This is a sad development, but is now necessary for our country's economic health.

The issue for me is not that we don't defend our border, but how do we make the current situation
"right".

Anonymous said...

Not just our economic health but our security as well. This is not a simpler time, we generally don't leave our doors unlocked, the streets haven't been safe at night for over a generation. As long as our leaders act as though we are still living in a Norman Rockwell world, they are endangering all of us.

Let the Mexicans in in an orderly way, using the process delineated under law. Nothing less will do. Not any more.

Some things may be as they were 130 years ago, but not everything, bob. It still comes down to taking care of our own. My neighbors of Mexican descent are more important to me, than any Mexicans crossing the border. This is our country, we make the rules, and it's time for the government to enforce them. No more double-talk.

After 9/11 we should be smarter than that.

Karen Schmautz said...

You are right...it was thought provoking. I need to think on it for a while.