Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ireland: Poets & Views



Dunluce Castle
Originally uploaded by benning.

Dunluce Castle is one of the most extensive ruins of a medieval castle on the island of Ireland. It is located on the edge of a basalt outcropping in County Antrim, Northern Ireland and is accessible via a bridge connecting it to the mainland. It is between Portballintrae and Portrush.



He Bids His Beloved Be At Peace

I HEAR the Shadowy Horses, their long manes a-shake,
Their hoofs heavy with tumult,
their eyes glimmering white;
The North unfolds above them clinging, creeping night,
The East her hidden joy before the morning break,
The West weeps in pale dew and sighs passing away,
The South is pouring down roses of crimson fire:
O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay:
Beloved, let your eyes half close, and your heart beat
Over my heart, and your hair fall over my breast,
Drowning love's lonely hour in deep twilight of rest,
And hiding their tossing manes and their tumultuous feet.

~ William Butler Yeats



Keem Bay, Achill Island
Originally uploaded by benning.

Achill Island (Irish; Acaill, Oileán Acla) in County Mayo is the largest island off Ireland, and is situated off the west coast.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


On the Mourne Mountains
Originally uploaded by benning.

The Mourne Mountains are the most picturesque mountain district in Ireland. The twelve peaks include Slieve Donard, which at 850m is Northern Ireland's highest mountain.

The Mountains Of Mourne

Oh Mary this London's a wonderful sight
With people here workin' by day and by night
They don't sow potatoes, nor barley, nor wheat
But there's gangs of them diggin' for gold in the street
At least when I asked them that's what I was told
So I just took a hand at this diggin' for gold
But for all that I found there I might as well be
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I believe that when writin' a wish you expressed
As to how the fine ladies in London were dressed
Well if you'll believe me, when asked to a ball
They don't wear no top to their dresses at all
Oh I've seen them meself and you could not in truth
Say that if they were bound for a ball or a bath
Don't be startin' them fashions, now Mary McCree
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

There's beautiful girls here, oh never you mind
With beautiful shapes nature never designed
And lovely complexions all roses and cream
But let me remark with regard to the same
That if that those roses you venture to sip
The colors might all come away on your lip
So I'll wait for the wild rose that's waitin' for me
In the place where the dark Mourne
sweeps down to the sea.

~ Percy French


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



Ireland by Mary Lee
Originally uploaded by benning.


Londonderry Air

Would God I were the tender apple blossom
That floats and falls from off the twisted bough
To lie and faint within your silken bosom
Within your silken bosom as that does now.
Or would I were a little burnish'd apple
For you to pluck me, gliding by so cold
While sun and shade you robe of lawn will dapple
Your robe of lawn, and you hair's spun gold.

Yea, would to God I were among the roses
That lean to kiss you as you float between
While on the lowest branch a bud uncloses
A bud uncloses, to touch you, queen.
Nay, since you will not love, would I were growing
A happy daisy, in the garden path
That so your silver foot might press me going
Might press me going even unto death.


Ballintoy Harbour, County Antrim
Originally uploaded by benning.

Ballintoy (in Irish: Baile an Tuaigh, ie townland of the ruler of the tuath) is a small village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is located alongside the B15 coast road, 28 kilometres (17 miles) north-east of Coleraine, 8 kilometres (5 miles) west of Ballycastle and between it and Bushmills. The village is located about 1 km (0.6 mi) from Ballintoy Harbour, a small fishing harbour located at the end of a very small, narrow, steep road down Knocksaughey hill which passes by the entrance to Larrybane and Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. The harbour is host to a Dawn Service on Easter Sunday each year.


4 comments:

Brooke said...

Ireland is so full of beauty!

Got any plans for tomorrow?

As for today... Beware the Ides of March! ;)

benning said...

Ahhh, tomorrow it's back to work I go! Yeesh! As for Saturday, I will work, write, and cook some ham, spuds, and string beans. Also a beer or two!

I may even say, "Begorrah" a few times on Saturday. Heheheee!

WomanHonorThyself said...

Top o the mornin to ya laddie!..great job Benning!!!..thanks and have a super weekend my friend!

benning said...

Sláinte! :D